Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Benedict, Homosexuality and Equality Laws: What He's NOT Saying

Let me start with a couple of caveats that I'd like any readers to keep in mind. I do not think homosexual relationships are immoral; on the contrary: for years I've been a strong advocate of gay rights and have given money and time to the cause. I also think that the Roman Catholic's teachings on sexuality are flawed from top to bottom. But Benedict VI has objected to proposed laws in Britain that would ban discrimination against homosexual people. If we want to argue with he is saying, we need to be clear about what he isn't saying.

Consider a hypothetical case. Mary is in charge of hiring a new staff member for a Roman Catholic organization in a small town. There are two candidates and because it's a small town, Mary knows both of them personally. One, Alex, is heterosexual. The other, Robin, is homosexual by orientation but believes homosexual relations are wrong and leads a chaste life. Mary knows both of these things. Alex could do the job competently. But Robin, as it turns out, is clearly better qualified. Should Mary reject Robin for the position on the grounds that the Church is opposed to homosexuality?

What would the Pope say? Based on what the Church actually teaches (teachings that then-Cardinal Ratzinger had a large role in articulating) I'd expect him to say this: it would be wrong for Mary to reject Robin simply because Robin is homosexual. Repeat that: if Benedict were to speak consistently with Church teaching, he would say that this sort of discrimination would be wrong.

Now add a third candidate, Kerry. Kerry is homosexual and has a same-sex partner. Kerry also disagrees with Church teaching on homosexuality. However, Kerry is even better qualified than Robin. What would Benedict say about this case?

My understanding: he'd draw a line here. Neither Robin's nor Kerry's orientation is the issue. The issues are: how do they act on that orientation, and what are their views on the Church's teaching? Benedict's view, as I understand it, is that the law shouldn't compel the Church to erase that line.

Is this what the law would do? I don't know. I haven't studied the legislation and I'm not a lawyer. But if it would, I'd find that troubling. The trouble doesn't come from sympathy with the Church's teaching on sexuality; I'm utterly unsympathetic to that. The trouble is that, in general, if an organization is in the business of advocating certain views, it ought to be able to take that into account when it decides who to hire. Suppose an organization takes defending view X as part of its mission. If a job candidate publicly rejects view X or openly behaves in ways that X wouldn't allow, then in general, the organization ought to be able to take that into account.

Of course, there's a good deal else that's troubling in this case. My own view is that what the Church teaches about homosexuality is not just mistaken but has done a good deal of harm. Laws that forbid discrimination against homosexuals are a public recognition of the wrongness of the way gay people have so often been treated. The idea of granting exemptions is more than a little uncomfortable.

One way of doing rough justice might be to say that organizations who want to discriminate in this way should get no public funds. The Church, of course, gets no direct public funding. However, in the USA (can't speak about the UK) some Church organizations that provide social services do. One solution is to say: either don't discriminate or don't take public funds. On balance, that's the solution I incline towards, but it comes at a cost: some of these organizations provide valuable services that might not be easily replaced. That said, whatever the right solution, my purpose here was more limited: it was to be clear about what Benedict and the Church are not saying. Without that, there's no chance of a productive discussion.

5 comments:

Louis Tourtellotte said...

Dr. Stairs, speaking as a Catholic philosopher, I think your understanding of Pope Benedict's position is right on. I can see why you would find the exception of allowing the Church organization to reject Kerry as a viable candidate to be troubling, but I think your solution of disallowing public funding is a fair compromise.

Might another solution be to still allow public funding but to strive to develop other organizations that might provide the same social service? That way public funding is not immediately withdrawn (thereby killing in some cases the only source of a particular social service) and can be later re-directed to an organization that the general public might find more universally acceptable.

An obvious practical objection might be budgetary constraints, but maybe the transition would just have to be quite gradual.

Allen Stairs said...

Thanks, Louis. From a practical point of view, this might be the way to go. If so, I'd probably want the parameters set reasonably clearly: funding will be withdrawn after a certain date. But in principle, something like what you suggest seems plausible.

Louis Tourtellotte said...

I'm glad you like it. Yes, a deadline is always a great help.

The Atheist Missionary said...

You wrote: "if an organization is in the business of advocating certain views, it ought to be able to take that into account when it decides who to hire".

I would agree but subject to the caveat that the hiring decision could not contravene the human rights legislation of the jurisdiction in question. The problem, of course, is that most human rights codes grant exemptions to religious institutions that allows them to discriminate against homosexuals in circumstances where any other private employer would be subject to prosecution if they said: "I would like to hire you but I'm not going to because of your sexual orientation". This begs the question of why religious discriminatory hiring decisions should be accorded any more deference than a secular discriminatory hiring decision.

I believe that the discriminatory hiring preference should only be permitted when the candidate's personal attributes/beliefs are directly related to the position. For example, the RC Church should be allowed to discriminate against homosexuals when hiring religion teachers but perhaps not when hiring gym teachers.

Anonymous said...

Just because you're working for an organization that feels one way or the other, our Charter is for all...and all must abide by it.

No matter what your orientation, beliefs, color, etc, the best person for the job needs to be hired.

My daughter is gay, and I am Catholic. I don't consider myself devout, but Catholicism is just religion. My relationship with a higher spiritual being is my faith. I take what I need from the 'group' and discard what I think is morally wrong and stupid - which really, is a lot of it when I sit right down and list things.

I teach my kids the same - we are all worthy, we are all loved, we are all special and those that tell us otherwise are wrong.